In response to a report earlier this week
The Nigerian Army has denied reports that there will be military lockdown of Nigeria beginning from Friday, as part of measures to contain coronavirus pandemic.
In an statement on Wednesday, Acting Director Army Public Relations, Col. Sagir Musa, described the reports as mischievous, bogus and misleading.
As per the Army representative, the reports were planned by certain mischievous elements to create chaos, frenzy, and disaffection in the nation.
Musa said the promoters of the reports had some ulterior intentions in spite of the nation and the world battling the spread of coronavirus.
He said the decument quoted was a proactive directive for the Nigerian army to prepare for a potential escalation of the COVID – 19 based on the happenings around the globe on the pandemic.
Musa included that the falsehoods won’t deter the Nigerian Army from working with sister services, the Nigeria Police and other security agencies to keep the country safe.
The statement reads: “The misinterpretation that Government is locking down the whole nation and pulling out the Army by Friday 27 March 2020 is completely bogus and outlandish.
“The NA considers the publication and negative interpretation being given the substance of the Classified document containing information implied for the Nigerian Army personnel as an infringement of the Official Secret Act.
“The NA will continue to be professional, proactive and responsive on the side of the Constitution, Democracy and Government of NIGERIA in accordance with its sacred order of providing aid to civil authority when called upon to do so.”