Kogi: Fire wreaks havoc in Obajana, as gas cylinder bursts into flames

Fire reportedly engulfed some shops and a residential building on Tuesday at Obajana in Lokoja Council area of Kogi state.

Shops and residential building were damaged conpletely razed down by the inferno.

It was also learnt that two persons sustained injuries and they are presently receiving treatment at a hospital in the community.

Speaking on the tragic incident, one of the shop owners razed by the fire identified as Chukwuebuka Austin said the fire started from one of his neighbour’s shop who deals in gas refilling.

He said the people had on many occasions asked the neighbors to stop trading in gas filling in such an area that is clustered.

He said, “I heard that our neighbour came to the shop in the morning and saw that one of the cylinder is leaking. Before he could do anything, one of the cylinder began to emit fire. Rather than call for help immediately, he ( was trying to put out the fire by himself.

“It was when he couldn’t control the fire that he raised alarm. Before one could do anything the cylinder exploded and ravaged the entries shops.

“I was still at home when someone called me that my shop was burning. When I reached there, I couldn’t go in, because there was no way I could save anything from the fire.”

Another shop owner, Aliu Zaki said all his life works was consumed by the fire; wonder how he will survive.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mr. Kingsley Fanwo who stopped at the scene of the fire while returning from an official assignment just after the fire fighter from the Obajana Cement Factory put out the fire.

Fanwo sympathized with the shops owner and promised that the state government will look into their plight and assist where necessaries.