UEFA, on Thursday, declared their last three-man waitlist for the Men’s Player of the Year award.
They are: Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus and Portugal), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool Netherlands) and Lionel Messi, (Barcelona and Argentina)
One of the three will be named UEFA Men’s Player of the Year.
An announcement from UEFA’s official website read: “Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Virgil van Dijk have been nominated for the 2018/19 UEFA Men’s Player of the Year award.
“The winner will be named – along with the UEFA Women’s Player of the Year and UEFA Champions League positional award winners – during the group stage draw in Monaco on Thursday 29 August. The UEFA Europa League Player of the Season will be announced the following day.”
Ronaldo won the UEFANations League and was top goalscorer at the finals. He additionally won his first Serie A title.
Van Dijk won the UEFA Champions Group, UEFA Super Cup, he also reached the UEFA Nations League final.
Messi was the top goalscorer in the UEFA Champions League, he won the European Golden Shoe and furthermore got his tenth Liga title.
The list of others main ten:
4. Alisson Becker (Liverpool & Brazil) – 57 points
5. Sadio Mané (Liverpool & Senegal) – 51 points
6. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool & Egypt) – 49 points
7. Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Real Madrid & Belgium) – 38 points
8. Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax/Juventus & Netherlands) – 27 points
9. Frenkie de Jong (Ajax/Barcelona & Netherlands) – 27 points
10. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City & England) – 12 points