President Muhammadu Buhari’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, has said the federal government is working on an Executive Order, which will tackle fraud and money laundering.
Shehu stated this while appearing on Sunday Politics, a programme on Channels Television.
He described the 77 suspects on the FBI list released last week, as an embarrassment to the country.
“This is a double damage on every citizen of Nigeria. It is a big scare on all of us who go out of this country and are seen in this image that these our brothers have created.
“We will cooperate with international organizations, the government will generate and ask for new laws from the National Assembly and there will be new executive orders that will block some of these loopholes that are being exploited by some of our fellow country men to go out there and embarrass and blacklist the country,” Shehu said.
On the specific reaction of the federal government on the list of the FBI, he said: “Like I said earlier, this administration will work with all nations around the globe to fight criminality. If Nigerians are involved in this thing, well hard luck to them.
“The president will not stand in the way of the justice system. Every citizen that travels out of this country is expected to obey the laws of their host country. President Muhammadu Buhari is not one to excuse Nigerians from the laws of countries in which they reside.
“Therefore you will expect a more vigorous engagement with National Assembly. The laws will have to change, this has got to be tackled and if it will take executive orders, this will be strengthened very rapidly.”